Friday, March 13, 2015

Leaving Nevis for St. Kitts

I had fallen in love with the Nisbet Plantation on Nevis and was going to make the most of my final day here.

Friend and fellow travel writer Sue Campbell, who was going to be heading back to snowy Montreal when she left, was right alongside me – on the beach. Fortunately, we did have a little more sun time, even when we left here.

The first thing that excited me when I was reading about Nisbet Plantation was the hammocks on the beach. Ironically, I had been here four days and hadn’t made it to the hammocks.

After we had our last beachside breakfast at Coconuts, Sue and I went right down to those hammocks. I actually finished a book for the first time in months.

All too soon it came time for our driver to pick us up and take us to the boat launch to St. Kitts

We said goodbye to the staff, especially our very gracious host, General Manager, Alistair Forrest.

We waved goodbye to Nevis as our boat docked in St. Kitts after a very short six minute ride. A driver was waiting to take us to the Marriott Resort.

We only had 24 hours in St. Kitts and we decided to stay put at the hotel and enjoy the resort, but we did enjoy the fact that our driver showed us some of the scenic points of the island  -- including the spot where the Caribbean Sea meets the Atlantic.

The St. Kitts Marriott is nothing like Nisbet Planation. That wasn’t at all a bad thing, just different.

Unlike the small property we had just left, this one was huge, with multiple restaurants, a large pool and beachfront, and even a casino (which was very good to us). 

It was also a resort for family, singles, and couples, while we hadn’t seen any children at Nisbet.

Sue and I were torn between garnering the last minutes of sun and eating when we arrived, but were happy to hear we could do both. We ordered some delicious pizzas by the pool and relaxed for a while before we had to head upstairs to shower and change for dinner.

Our rooms at the St. Kitts Marriott Resort were very comfortable and had excellent beach views. We also had welcoming champagne from the staff. We opened a bottle and toasted to the last night of our trip.

I can’t say enough about our dinner at La Cucina La Dolce Vita with the hotel General Manager Jacques Hamou. 

We happened to be there on the night the restaurant does an interesting mix or buffet and sit-down dining.

We were able to choose from a large display of antipasto, which included artichokes, pasta, crab stuffed tomatoes, Caesar salad, flatbreads, and eggplant parmesan. I chose a little of everything that didn’t have seafood. It was all delicious.

After the antipasto and a refreshing glass of Cavit Pinot Grigio, we were served our entrees. For me, that was an amazingly fresh Veal Carbonara.

Sue raved over the Spaghetti ai Frutti Di Mare. It included shrimp, squash and a pesto sauce.

For dessert, we were back in the buffet area, trying to choose from a scrumptious display when we were already pretty stuffed, but did have some of the chocolate fondue and some gelato.

After breakfast, we headed down to the beach for a few hours of sun and surf before it was time to change and pack up for the airport.

I was impressed that not only were there plenty of gazebos with lounge chairs on the beach, but they were also complimentary.

All too soon we were back at St. Kitts airport. It had been one of the most relaxing trips I’d been on in a long time and I got to visit two breathtaking islands, as well as spend some time with Sue. I’m looking forward to seeing all three again soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment